The International Confederation of ATOD (Alcohol, Tobacco & other Drug) Research Associations warmly invites you to join our annual meeting online on 8th November. With distinguished invited speakers including Prof. Samantha Thomas (Deakin University) and Prof. Rosalie Liccardo Pacula (University of Southern California) we will examine current topics such as capacity building, policy developments and conflicts of interest. See draft programme below.
We will also elect our new board on the afternoon of 8th November, if you are interested in international networking on ATOD. See here for board opportunities.
All are welcome, please contact Hannah.firstname.lastname@example.org to register to attend, indicating your name, job title, and institution, and whether you are representing an ICARA member organisation.
Monday 8th November 2021, 10.00-12.00 & 14.00-16.00 GMT
Annual Meeting Webinar: Emerging Issues in Gambling Research
10.00 Welcome from ICARA President, Prof. Niamh Fitzgerald
10.10 Keynote Address: Emerging Issues in Gambling Research
Prof. Samantha Thomas, Deakin University
10.30 Emerging Issues in Gambling Research: Panel Presentations & Discussion
- Gambling regulation & marketing in Low & Middle Income Countries
- Avoiding industry funding – can researchers with past industry funding be ‘rehabilitated’, if so how? Is a compulsory levy a good way forward?
- Policy developments & opportunities in specific countries
- Framing gambling as a public health problem – successes & challenges
Confirmed Panel Members will each present for 5 minutes, followed by 10 minutes discussion:
- Dr. Derrick Ssewanyana, African Institute for Development Policy, Nairobi, Kenya
- Janne Nikkonen, Finland
- Prof. Samantha Thomas, Deakin University
- UK/Ireland speaker TBC
11.30 Chair’s Remarks Discussion of Next Steps for ICARA to support Gambling Research
14.00 Key Note Address: International Collaboration in Cannabis Policy Research, Priorities, Opportunities & Challenges
Prof. Rosalie Liccardo Pacula, University of Southern California, President, International Society for the Study of Drug Policy
14.30 – 16.00 ICARA General Assembly
General Assembly Agenda:
- Affirmation that the meeting has been called according to the bylaws and forms a quorum.
- Reports of activities and economic situation from the Officers and the Board
- President’s Report 2018-2021, overview of work and strategic direction: Prof. Niamh Fitzgerald
- Treasurer’s Report 2018-2021: ICARA Budget, Expenditure & Plans: Riikka Perala
- Presentation of audited accounts with a written report from the auditors
- Acceptance of the accounts and granting of freedom from liability for the board.
- Vice-President’s Report 2018-2021: Membership, Communications & Future Support for ATOD research networks/associations in LMICs: Matej Kosir.
- Secretary’s Report 2018-2021: ICARA Infrastructure: Website, Twitter, Events, Members’ Policies: Dr. Andrea Mohan
- ICARA Webinar Series report: Prof. Neo Morojele, ICARA Board Member
- Discussion of Future Activities including ideas raised in Annual Meeting
- Membership Fees for 2022 onwards
- Election of Officers and Board and two Auditors plus one substitute. Board opportunities here.
- Any other business