The International Confederation of ATOD (Alcohol, Tobacco & other Drug) Research Associations warmly invites you to join our annual meeting online on 8th November. With distinguished invited speakers including Prof. Samantha Thomas (Deakin University) and Prof. Rosalie Liccardo Pacula (University of Southern California) we will examine current topics such as capacity building, policy developments and conflicts of interest. See draft programme below.
We will also elect our new board on the afternoon of 8th November, if you are interested in international networking on ATOD. See here for board opportunities.
Monday 8th November 2021, 10.00-12.00 & 14.00-16.00 GMT
Annual Meeting Webinar: Emerging Issues in Gambling Research
10.00 Welcome from ICARA President, Prof. Niamh Fitzgerald
10.10 Keynote Address: Emerging Issues in Gambling Research
Prof. Samantha Thomas, Deakin University
10.40 Emerging Issues in Gambling Research: Panel Presentations & Discussion
- Policy developments & opportunities in specific countries
- Gambling regulation & marketing in Low & Middle Income Countries
- Framing gambling as a public health problem – successes & challenges
- Industry funding of research – polluter pays?
Confirmed Panel Members will each present for 5 minutes, followed by 10 minutes discussion:
- Dr. Derrick Ssewanyana, African Institute for Development Policy, Nairobi, Kenya
- Dr. Janne Nikkinen, University Researcher, Center for Research on Addiction, Control and Governance (CEACG), University of Helsinki
- Prof. Samantha Thomas, Professor of Public Health, Deakin University
- Dr. May Van Schalkwyk, NIHR Doctoral Fellow, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
11.40 Discussion of Next Steps for ICARA to support Gambling Research
14.00 ICARA General Assembly 2021 featuring Keynote Address from Prof. Rosalie Liccardo Pacula
14.00 Keynote Address: International Collaboration in Cannabis Policy Research, Priorities, Opportunities & Challenges
Chair: Matej Kosir, ICARA Vice-President
Prof. Rosalie Liccardo Pacula, University of Southern California, President, International Society for the Study of Drug Policy
14.30 – 16.00 ICARA General Assembly
General Assembly Agenda:
1. Affirmation that the meeting has been called according to the bylaws and forms a quorum.
2. Reports of activities and economic situation from the Officers and the Board
a. President’s Report 2018-2021, overview of work and strategic direction: Prof. Niamh Fitzgerald
b. Treasurer’s Report 2018-2021: ICARA Budget, Expenditure & Plans: Riikka Perala
i. Presentation of audited accounts with a written report from the auditors
ii. Acceptance of the accounts and granting of freedom from liability for the board.
c. Vice-President’s Report 2018-2021: Membership, Communications & Future Support for ATOD research networks/associations in LMICs: Matej Kosir.
d. Secretary’s Report 2018-2021: ICARA Infrastructure: Website, Twitter, Events, Members’ Policies: Dr. Andrea Mohan
Chair: Niamh Fitzgerald, ICARA President
3. ICARA Webinar Series report: Prof. Neo Morojele, ICARA Board Member
4. Discussion of Future Activities including ideas raised in Annual Meeting
5. Membership Fees for 2022 onwards
6. Election of Officers and Board and two Auditors plus one substitute. Board opportunities here.
7. Any other business